Moving domains...

Welcome to Blogging Collective!

Join our community of passionate bloggers dedicated to helping each other succeed in the world of blogging! Register Today - It's Free! If you're already a member, Login Now!

Shawn Gossman

Community Manager
Staff member
Community Manager
Community Moderator
I just worked all day moving one of my blogs from one domain to another.

Making sure all the links were changed, errors were fixed, and Google checklist items were ticked to avoid SEO failures.

It was kind of rough but now I have that further blogging experience to help others. :)

Have you ever done anything like that before?

Moving domains, yes. Have made small mistakes and paid the price. Luckily sorted it somehow. Big errors are easy to spot, small ones are not.
You're definitely correct.

I'd love to know what small mistakes you made, though?

It might be helpful to me in my move but also for others who might be contemplating doing the same thing.

I just worked all day moving one of my blogs from one domain to another.

Making sure all the links were changed, errors were fixed, and Google checklist items were ticked to avoid SEO failures.

It was kind of rough but now I have that further blogging experience to help others. :)

Have you ever done anything like that before?
Overall, how did it go?

I might have to do something like this eventually and feel like I'd have to be very careful.

Overall, how did it go?

I might have to do something like this eventually and feel like I'd have to be very careful.
It wasn't too bad.

I had to add a few lines to the functions.php page to get it to work properly because I'm still using both domain names.

I was able to tell Google (using search console) about the change as well. That helps to prevent SEO or indexing issues.

I moved a blog with around 300 posts so wasn't too bad at all.

Back