WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org

Welcome to Blogging Collective!

Join our community of passionate bloggers dedicated to helping each other succeed in the world of blogging! Register Today - It's Free! If you're already a member, Login Now!

Choose the WordPress setup you're using!

• WordPress.org Self-Hosted

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • WordPress.com Hosted

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I see no benefit in hosting directly through Wordpress.com. Self hosting gives you significantly more freedom and with the Jetpack plug-in you get pretty much all the benefits of the dotcom option.

I see no benefit in hosting directly through Wordpress.com. Self hosting gives you significantly more freedom and with the Jetpack plug-in you get pretty much all the benefits of the dotcom option.
If you only wanted a blog with no intention to make money or do anything significant, then WordPress.com would be the way to go.

But if you want to do more, yeah, the self-hosted option is really the best way to go.

I have a personal blog. I just write daily thoughts on it. I don't plan to do much with it except for that but I still use the self-hosted WordPress for that but then again, I've had a website since I was 13.

You can make money via wp dotcom but it’s via their own ad service.
Do you have to be on a paid plan?

I had a premium Jetpack on my self hosted blog at one time. It came with the ads feature. I never really made that much money from if.

Have you had any better luck with it?

I think (and stand to be corrected) that you need to be on a paid plan for wp ads. I have them on my personal blog which is not promoted in anyway. I’ve not made much at all. But that could be because I have not tried to do so. It’s not that kind of blog.
My ‘business’ blog has yet to be monetised as it’s only a week old. There seems little point in trying when traffic is insignificant.

My ‘business’ blog has yet to be monetised as it’s only a week old. There seems little point in trying when traffic is insignificant.
I have a strategy with "for-profit" blogs.

3 phases, which I typically do in a three-year period. You could so it in 3 months or 6 months each, but it does require more work.

I'll have to write an article for that one, too :)

Back