General Blogging The 3 P's of Choosing Your Blog Niche

Welcome to Blogging Collective!

Join our community of passionate bloggers dedicated to helping each other succeed in the world of blogging! Register Today - It's Free! If you're already a member, Login Now!

Blogging articles that don't fit any other prefix.
Are you having trouble choosing your blog niche?

You may want to use my 3 P framework.

The 3 P framework consists of:

1. Passion
  2. People
  3. Profit

1. PASSION
Your first step is identifying your biggest passions in life.

Write these down on a piece of paper.

My biggest passions are hiking, cycling, blogging, and online community management. So, I would write all four of these topics down on paper.

A passion should be a topic you really love. An interest, A hobby. Something you can't get enough of.

I hike every weekend. I love cycling so much that I have several bikes. I've been blogging for more than twenty years. I've been running online communities for decades. I actively do the things I call passions every week or even every day.

2. PEOPLE
Next, you want to make sure people are online for each of the passions you've written down.

This is your target audience. People who love your passions as much as you love them.

Search everywhere for them. Look on all the popular social media platforms. Look on sites like Reddit and Quora. Look on Discord and discussion forums. Look for other blogs that are actively blogging about those topics. You want there to be plenty of people, communities, AND other blogs (competitors) otherwise the market may not exist.

An untapped market isn't always a good thing. It'll mean extra work to try to establish a non-existing blog niche.

Note your findings on that piece of paper with your passions written down on it.

website-1624028_640.png

3. PROFIT
Lastly, you want to make sure that your passion can profit with its audience.

If you can't make money with your blog, you might want to choose a different passion. That's why I suggested writing down all your passions and researching an audience for each of them.

The best way to see if you can profit with your chosen passion is to look at other blogs that are active in the niche. Determine if and how they are profiting. Competition is good for many things including strategy research to make the best decisions for your blog.

And before you say that you don't plan to generate a profit, know that eventually your blog will cost money to maintain. It might cost more than you can afford. You should at least have a plan of letting the blog pay for itself.

Final Thoughts
The 3 P's Framework is a simple process for finding your blog niche.

If you use it, what niche are you going with? I'd love to know!

Back