Is Wikipedia good for backlinks?

Welcome to Blogging Collective!

Join our community of passionate bloggers dedicated to helping each other succeed in the world of blogging! Register Today - It's Free! If you're already a member, Login Now!

_Al

I was writing an article earlier about a game developer called Peter Molyneux. If you don’t know the name you’ll know games like Populous, Dungeon Keeper & Theme Park. Whilst researching I had a look at his Wiki page. There was no mention of this new game so I finished my article and then edited the wiki page with a citation linking to the article.

IMG_3159.jpeg

Anyone ever attempted to use Wiki like this? Any success?

If you can retain the backlink on Wikipedia, then yes, they're definitely worth getting.

I've always found it difficult to get the backlink to stay on the page. Usually, someone edits it away. But if you have a citation that is good enough, maybe it can stay, and you can retain that great link.

Keeping the link can boost your quality blog traffic since Wikipedia dominates page 1, position 1 for many keywords.

Unfortunately, since millions of website owners covet the same high quality backlinks it seems tough to keep the link and high quality traffic. As Shawn said, those editors pop in and it's gone. But the way I see it, as long as you keep driving high quality blog traffic through multiple channels it matters not if one channel seems to be less reliable.

Sometimes, too, editors will take your link out and almost moderate you for adding it as if you're trying to spam.

I think Wiki Media has grown too big for its britches sometimes.

I mean, everyone who adds their link is trying to get a backlink, no matter how resourceful their content is.

Write the best content, and you'll win in the end :)

Sometimes, too, editors will take your link out and almost moderate you for adding it as if you're trying to spam.

I think Wiki Media has grown too big for its britches sometimes.

I mean, everyone who adds their link is trying to get a backlink, no matter how resourceful their content is.

Write the best content, and you'll win in the end :)
100% my friend.

That last line is the key to all blogging success no matter where you publish the content; add the most helpful, practical details, drill down in depth and the blogging cream always rises to the top. If you publish top shelf content, ultimately, those links will stick on Wikipedia or on any site, for that matter.

I agree.

I think a good way of planning for content creation is to surf the biggest websites you wish to be linked to.

Find the most relatable content to your niche.

Write something better than that content, and then focus on smaller backlinks with that article.

After you build up some cred, approach the bigger websites for a backlink.

Back